Hello! Saveun checking in, this last bit of development was tough it took much longer than we thought and looking back on it, a huge portion could have been avoided.
The Android version went together relatively smoothly, a lot of the development at that phase was trying to get remaining features in and working correctly. This is credit to Google and the Play Development console, I really like how streamlined this process is.
We had the ‘finished’ Android version out mid September 2016, I took a brief break from TT and returned focused on getting the iOS version together and published.
We knew the native TT leaderboard was implemented much earlier, and we used Unity’s Ad solution to handle the ad’s so those were nothing for us to worry about.
I needed to hire an iOS developer to help me get the microtransactions and achievements working for the Apple build, this was because the developer I was working with didn’t have access to an Apple device. So we did what we could and I found a developer shortly after.
(I’d recommend using Upwork.com for finding freelancers. It’s a really good site, they’ve got a reputation system and helpful staff if you have questions).
I found someone there, and we got to work shortly after, this is probably two weeks after the Android version went live. We were making decent progress. The guy told me to set up my iTunesConnect account and we got the initial stuff together.
I should mention I don’t have a large amount of money committed to my game so the freelancers I was working with weren’t the most professional.
This one guy took three weeks to get some of the microtransactions working, after that much time passes with very little progress I gave him an ultimatum, shortly after we parted ways.
This happened two more times, all the while I was paying them and getting very little in return. One implemented the microtransactions and achievements but during testing we stumbled into a bug.
This bug was a real headache, remember this was my first game developed on iOS so something as simple as testing it on a device was difficult.
One developer said it the bug was related to this, he was also taking his time so we stopped working with each other. This happened a lot during development of the iOS version and one reason was because the freelancers took their time and I felt weren’t treating the job as a job.
We stopped working together and I decided to take this issue to the Unity 3D forums, thinking I could find a Unity expert there to help with the bug. I had a lot of developers contact me, and I was planning on working with some until this one person by the name of Russell Rybak aka Agile Panda contacted me.
His eMail read:
Hello my name is Russell I am 23 years of age and have been programming since I was 12. I’ve spent nearly half my life learning the best possible practices when it comes to programming and would love to work with you on this project. Since it is only about 10 hours worth of work I can do it for a very low price of $100 usd. Now you may be thinking I am not going to provide good code for such a low price but I will. The main reason I am doing work on unity is so I can earn some spare cash and build a portfolio all while finishing my last year of college.
I replied with:
Hi Russell, love the enthusiasm!
Tell me a little about yourself, what projects have you been involved in and what specifically have you worked on for them?
Do you have Github experience? What about iOS publishing experience?
The bugs are only visible when testing on a device, so please keep that in mind.
Now the reason I’m not hiding Russells name is because this guy took my money and didn’t do any work on Turret Town.
I mistakenly thought this person was genuine, and helping a kid get experience was a nice bonus.
I transferred the money over to him via PayPal and we started.
He claimed the bugs weren’t present on an iPhone 6s, I was testing on an iPhone 6. After he couldn’t fix anything he suggested we publish Turret Town for iPhone 6s’s and above, after I told him this wasn’t what I wanted he basically said “OK well good luck getting it to work”.
He said I should dispute the payment with PayPal and after some time they decided to settle the payment in his favor.
About a week after we stopped working with each other, I opened the ‘Remaining iOS issues’ document I shared with him and saw all the bullet pointed issues I listed in it were struck off, as if Russell marked them as completed. So I suspect Russell, struck all the issues off and sent that off to PayPal to say “Hey, look I did everything. See!”.
I don’t have anything to say about this experience, I guess the take away is; don’t trust people?
While I was thinking of solutions I got back to talking with my initial developer Noha, I started playing around in xCode and was sending some of the errors to Noha via eMail. She saw a few problems logged from xCode and committed fixes the following night. This resolved the iOS bug and well the rest is history.
I looked through my old eMails and found that I started Turret Town on the 17th April 2013 almost four years ago!
I don’t know when the initial idea came to me so this has been with me for years, it’s not for nothing though — this was a real test for myself. I made some mistakes during development and it’s all to make me a better developer.
Keep an eye/ear out, hopefully I’ll have something new to talk about later in the year.
Thanks to all the people that helped me, till next time,